Thursday, July 7, 2011

A Good Ol' Southern Holiday

I know another 4th of July post 3 days late... but what can I say, I'm a blogaholic.  Yes that is a real thing.  And No I am not currently seeking treatment.
We spent the 4th of July in the Big Murray, KY as we often do.  That's tobacco country you know.

Brandon's favorite brother, Wes, was born on the 4th so the festivities are extra special!  Our weekend basically consisted of family time, swimming, eating, family time, football, swimming, eating.  Rinse and Repeat.  We had so much fun getting to finally spend some quality time with Brandon's family.  It's been a while since we've been able to go and stay a while but one of the not so fun aspects of being an adult I suppose.

Here is our weekend in pictures:
(quality varies as most were taken on my phone.  bad blogger i know.)

Shooting guns in the corn field.

 Wes has a 357 Magnum, snub-nosed something or another pistol.  Big name for a little gun.  However, size does NOT matter when discussing guns.  That little puppy was the loudest thing I've heard in a very long time.  My ears are ringing literally just thinking about it.  I only shot once and let the boys do the rest.  It was almost a bit much.  We were shooting at styrofoam cups in the back of a corn field.  Check out the destruction this baby produces:
Crazy!  The picture of the right is the entrance hole and the picture of the left is the gaping exit point.

Although fun, not sure I was competent enough to feel safe with it.  Everyone handling such weapons should take a safety course, myself included. 

One of a several backyard football games.
 The boys loved throwing and have quite the guns like their "Gunner" Uncle B.  Yes, having your shirt off does make you a better athlete.  The boys have learned this young.

Everybody loves a ride on the 4-wheeler.

Fireworks! Big Hit with 3 and 6 year old boys.  I know can you believe it?  Safety?  Questionable.
Look at those faces of amazement!  I love it.

Grilling Out!
The boys are learning to use my camera.  I think Caden took this one.
Yes we had like 16 of these gynormous steaks!  Delicious!  Brandon's cousin is quite the chef and made an absolutely amazing bourbon butter.  It made the steaks taste like you were eating at your favorite uber-expensive, have to wear nice clothes, and use the correct fork steak places.  YUM!

Here is a recipe I found on world wide web so you can make your own!  Brandon's cousin edited the recipe he found to his taste and I suggest you do the same.  You won't regret it!

Bourbon Butter:
2 sticks of unsalted butter, softened
2 shallots minced finely, soaked in 1 shot of bourbon or whiskey
3 teaspoons minced parsley
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon of Dijon mustard
3 teaspoons of bourbon or whiskey
1/2 teaspoon of sea salt
white pepper to taste

Make butter at least 3 hours in advance.  Combine butter, shallots soaked in bourbon, parsley, Worcestershire, mustard, bourbon, salt and pepper.  Mix well.  On a piece of plastic wrap, drop butter in spoonfuls to form a log.  Roll butter in plastic wrap to form a smooth round log.  Refrigerate until ready to use. 

Then just grill a fabulous steak and place a large dollop on top!  Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...