Saturday, July 2, 2011

Return To My Country Girl Roots

This week I returned to my country girl roots.  I went blackberry pickin' on the farm.  Although I went all by my lonesome I had a lot of fun.

First things first...Turn off the electric fence.  Especially important for me, because I've always been a little afraid of it and it had been raining A LOT.  I didn't want to test the relationship between electricity and water.  I hear they are really close.

 Second, put on some boots.  Clay mud is nasty.  So I wore Momma Jackie's boots.  I don't have any farm boots anymore.  I need some.  I can remember as a child going to The Tractor Supply Company and getting to pick between the red and yellow rubber boots to wear on the farm.


Isn't the queen anne's lace beautiful!  I love it.  We used to pick it all the time while we played on farm while my Dad worked.

My mom's domestic blackberries weren't as ripe as I thought they were, so I went on the search for our wild berries.
I used to love swinging on these as a kid.

Found them falling into the pond.

The problem with wild blackberries are the THORNS!  Ouch!
And let's not even talk about the chigger possibilities.  I immediately showered after my pickin' to avoid those little boogers.

Blackberry picking is fun but painful work, but the pay-off is well worth it...Blackberry Cobbler!  Yum!
Photo found here.  Sorry forgot to take my own picture.  I was busy eating.




Here is my recipe:

 2 cups blackberries   
(Or whatever you have.  I don't measure.)
1 cup sugar
1 cup self-rising flour
1 cup milk
1 stick (1/2 cup) butter

I cook the blackberries on the stove in a small pot with a little bit of sugar and a little bit of water just to make it a little saucy.  Bring it to a boil then turn it back and let it simmer just a bit.  Maybe 5-10 minutes.

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.  Mix equal parts sugar, flour and milk.  Melt stick of butter in oven in the pan.  Pour mixture into the butter greased pan.  Pour blackberry mixture into the center of the pan.  
(Confession:  Last night I forgot the butter.  I know what a terrible cook and blogger.  And honestly, It tasted delicious.  Better than usual.  Take that for what it's worth.)

Bake on 350 degrees approximately 30 minutes or until golden brown.
Serve with Purity vanilla ice cream.

Delicious summer treat!  Enjoy!


(Sorry guys and gals.  I can't get the fonts etc. to work correctly.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...