Sunday, October 9, 2011

Snap Its Cold!

Wooo!  It got cold folks! Well it comes and goes, but its all starting!  Guess what that means...  Time for soup!  All kinds of soups!  My favorite time of the year for food.  Well...every season of food is my favorite but I really love this season of soups and football foods.  I've already made white chicken chili, vegetable beef, and potato soup.  Was September too early??  Cringe.  Maybe.  But I don't care.  I LOVE SOUP!  

The big question really is....What kind should I make next?  Broccoli Cheese, Traditional Chili, Chicken and Rice, Lentil and Sausage...the possibilities are endless.

One of my favorite ones from last year is Rachael Ray's Veg-Head Three-Bean Chili, so I'm planning on making it this week for friends.  I am so far from a vegetarian, but I LOVE this chili!  Who am I kidding? I love ALL types of chili!

Here is the amazing and easy recipe!
Its in the 30 minute meals cook book...so it has to be right.
Ingredients:
2 tbsp olive or vegetable oil (who measures?  not me. just wing it)
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
1 large red pepper, seeded and chopped
1 large green pepper, seeded and chopped
1 large jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
4 garlic cloves, crushed and chopped
1 cup of pale bear or vegetable stock/broth
1 (32-oz) can crushed tomatoes
1 (14-oz) can black beans
1 (14-oz) can dark red kidney beans
1 tbsp chili powder
2 tbsp cayenne hot pepper sauce (a few drops)
1 cup spicy vegetarian refried beans

Toppings:
8 oz (2 cups shredded) spicy monterey jack or smoked cheddar
(whatev just use your favorite shredded cheese)
Chopped scallions, white and greens
Diced fresh seeded plum tomatoes
Blue and red corn tortilla chips or black bean tortilla chips, for dipping

Directions:
Over moderate heat, add oil to a deep pot and combine onion, peppers, and garlic.  Saute for 3 to 5 minutes to soften vegetables.  Deglaze pan with beer or broth, add tomatoes, black beans, red kidney beans, and stirring to combine.

Season with cumin, chili powder, hot sauce, and salt.  Thicken chili by stirring in refried beans.  Simmer over low heat about 5 to 10 minutes longer, then serve up bowls of chili and top with shredded cheese, scallions and tomatoes (or so Rachael says).

It really is easy!  It is a nice spin on original chili!  And I would like to think, its healthy!

Hope you are enjoying our yo-yoing weather with your favorite soups on the downswings!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...